Tuesday, July 10, 2012

CHILDHOOD MEMORIES

I was just sitting here thinking and a few childhood memories popped up in my head. I Think my sister Roberta will remember these. The first was very fond memories of going to the beach in Dam Neck, VA. Playing in the sand, well Roberta playing and me trying to dig myself out from where she buried me. Also on this beach, I remember little snack shacks. I believe this beach might have been on a naval base but not sure. A song pops up in my head every time I think of the beach at Dam Neck and that song is "The wayward wind" by Gogi Grant. It must have been popular during the time we were going to this beach. The second thought I had was of my Mom, Roberta and myself sitting in our Detroiter Mobile Home, riding out Hurricane Donna in 1959 or 1960. I remember the trailer right beside us being turned over on its side. The row of phone booths across the street from our trailer as very few people had phones back then. The phone I remember being very generous and giving back all the money people would feed them making long distance calls. Roberta and I would put the money in a glass jar and buried it behind the trailer next to the tree that had to be cut down after the hurricane as it was leaning and almost fell on our trailer. Then Roberta and I going to the playground to slide on the slide.
At that age, this slide seemed 15 to 20 feet high. poles anchoring the slide in cement. We used to slide down these poles. I also remember falling off the top of this slide on my head. I couldn't breath for what seemed like 10 minutes. Roberta to this day says that is what is wrong with me and I tell her she pushed me. Lastly I remember going to the Drive-Inn Theater. Dad would pack a cooler with drinks and hide it in the trunk and Mom would pop  popcorn the old fashion way (pan and oil) sliding the pan back and forth over the stove. She would do this many times until she had filled up a whole paper bag. She would put on the salt and then add melted butter. The snack bar was to expensive. I guess this is more for Roberta and I and the rest of you might find it boring, but it was such a good and carefree time in the lives of two children in a Military family. P.S. Can't leave out Roberta's first crush "Larry Thurston Henry" Now that's a blast from the past. I hope this has brought back some good memories for you to sis. Love you.

Harold

2 comments:

  1. Oh boy do I remember those times. Dam Neck is a Navy base and I remember the sand dunes very well. I remember sleeping through Hurricane Donna and I do remember the trees leaning over the trailer too. I remember thinking that God was looking out for us because we weren't hurt. There were several trailers in the park that had been turned over but thankfully not a single person had been hurt. Larry Henry (my boyfriend) used to deliver newspapers and would ride me on the bicycle with him when he did. We went steady for a while but we broke up and he went steady with another girlfriend of mine for awhile named Gina....but he came back to me.
    We used to get the money out of the phone booths to buy ice cream from the Mr Softee Ice Cream truck that came by almost every day too. We also used to roller skate on the streets in the park. Remember when you had skate keys for your skates? Those were the good old days!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, I guess you saw this, Bobbie. ;) These are special memories that only you two share. How nice to see this and to hear that old song, too! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete