Sunday, October 4, 2009

SAD DAY IN MY LIFE

Well, I have not been on here for quite some time as so much has been going on but nothing really worthy of reporting. Well, that all changed on September 23rd. I got home that afternoon and had to make a delivery in town the next day. All was well until we got ready for bed. When I bent down to pet my oldest dog Kipper and give him a silly kiss (as all old people seem to resort to as they get older), when he bit me under the chin just a few inches from my throat. I knew what I had to do when I got home the next day. Well, after making my delivery, I went home to take him to the Vet. The Vet informed me she could not put him to sleep because he had bitten me. She said he had to go into quarantine for 10 days.
I have been having an extremely hard time with this even though I knew it was the right decision and something I had to do. I have small grandchildren just starting to walk. I could not have lived with myself if he ever bit one of my grandbabies and I had to look at a scar for the rest of my life with the knowledge that I could have prevented that if only I had made the right decision.
That has made me feel a little better as the days go by, but already I can only remember the good things Kipper brought to my life as we grew older together. I will miss him very much but I know he is better off and will never hurt anyone again. God bless you Kipper and may God watch over you in Doggie Heaven and I have your pictures on my sun visor in the BIG RED TRUCK. You will always be my Co-pilot as I travel these long and lonely roads and I will never pass a sign that says rest area 1 more mile without fond thoughts of the excitement you showed when I uttered those words to you. Farewell my friend. You are in good hands now and forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment